Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant
Chinese Style Roast Chicken
Whole chicken oven roasted and basted with sauce featuring garlic, minced ginger, peanut oil, fresh lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and Chinese five spice powder.
2 large Garlic Cloves, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons Coarse Salt
1 whole (5 pounds) Roaster Chicken, insides removed, fat trimmed away
1 tablespoon Freshly Minced Ginger
1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
4 tablespoon Peanut Oil
1 teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice Powder
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoon Toasted White Sesame Seeds
1 cup Plum Sauce (for dipping)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Add garlic, peanut oil, fresh lemon juice, coarse salt, red pepper flakes, Chinese five-spice powder and minced ginger, Pulse to form paste.
3. Stir sesame seeds into paste.
4. Rub whole chicken with paste.
5. Place chicken on rack above roasting pan (add ¼ cup water to roasting pan).
6. Roast 1 hour, basting and turning chicken occasionally.
7. Remove chicken from oven. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
8. With very sharp knife, slit chicken into 6 pieces.
9. Serve with plum sauce on the side.